Katie Meegan ’09
1 Graduate Of the Last Decade, 100 words about her + 10 random questions
Most people wouldn’t think of cleaning up poop as a career pinnacle. But for Katie Meegan ’09, taking care of animals — and their business — is her business.
She’s a Buffalo Zoo animal care specialist who moonlights with professional zoologist and TV personality Jarod Miller ’00, whom she met when the Biology Club brought him to campus. Today they work together several days a week, showing animals locally and on television shows like the Late Show with David Letterman.
“I’m doing what I want to do. So as far as I’m concerned, I’ve already made it,” says Meegan. “I love teaching people how cool animals really are.” l
1) Coolest animal you’ve handled: That’s tough. It’d probably have to be
a tie between a tapir and a Siberian lynx.
2) Most loved stuffed animal as a kid: A small stuffed lion that I called Lioness.
3) Favorite Rice Creek pastime: My senior year I would escape there to study during the warmer weather and not tell anyone where I was going.
I still won’t reveal my secret spot.
4) Downside of animal handling: Sometimes I smell. Who am I kidding? Most of the time I smell.
5) Upside of Oswego’s weather: It truly makes you appreciate the nicer weather but you also can’t beat the sunsets.
6) Dogs or cats? Dogs. I can’t stand cleaning kitty litter.
7) Rudy’s or Sub Shop? Rudy’s all the way. There is something about sitting next to the lake that eating a sub can’t come close to.
8) Yes, please: Buffalo Sabres hockey.
9) No, thank you: Snow. I’ve had enough snow and cold weather to last a lifetime.
10) Little-known fact: Gorillas and chimpanzees have a cluster of sweat glands under their arms (like humans) and may have smelly armpits after exercise.
You might also like
More from Alumni News
It was the much-awaited campus visit that draws hundreds of eager students: The chance to connect with professionals from media …