2020 Alumni Award Winners Recognized
Physical distance did not diminish the excitement and emotions of the attendees present for two virtual ceremonies honoring the 2020 Oswego Alumni Association (OAA) Award winners. In fact, the virtual format enabled some friends and family members who might not have been able to make the trip for an in-person event to be part of the celebration honoring their loved one.
President Deborah F. Stanley congratulated the award winners and expressed how they serve as role models for others,
particularly current students.
The first ceremony, held on Sept. 24, recognized the following alumni:
• Bob Garrett ’83, Alumni Impact Award: A leader of one the world’s most successful professional services companies who has opened doors of opportunity for
generations of Oswego students;
• Linda Townsend ’77, Community Service Award: An all-around doer who has made a tremendous impact as a lawyer, teacher, legislator, musician, veterans advocate and community organizer in Central New York; and
• Quindell Williams ’11, Graduate Of the Last Decade (GOLD) Award: A bright, caring and positive journalist-turned-teacher who goes out of his way to support his alma mater and be an inspiration to others.
President of the OAA Board of Directors Dana Segall Murphy ’99 read each winner’s citation and invited attendees to “unmute” themselves to cheer for each recipient before inviting the recipient to deliver acceptance remarks.
A series of faces flashed into the center of the screen with cheers of “Yay, daddy!” and “Congratulations!” and “Way to go!” as the virtual realm filled with applause icons.
The second ceremony, held on Sept. 25, honored the following alumni:
• Dr. Frederick Bieber ’72, Distinguished Alumnus Award: A medical geneticist with an exceptional expertise in forensics whose work has made an impact both nationally and internationally;
• Barry Gliner ’84, Lifetime Award of Merit: A creative producer whose technical skill seamlessly weaves together video and sound for award-winning experiences and whose loyalty to Oswego students and alumni is unwavering; and
• Tamar Greene ’09, Distinguished Alumnus Award: An information science professional turned Broadway star who shares his rich voice and commanding performances with audiences, including special sessions for Oswego students.
Vice President for Development and Alumni Engagement Mary Gibbons Canale ’81 congratulated the winners on behalf of President Deborah F. Stanley and the whole college community.
“You have all distinguished yourselves for your exceptional accomplishment and service to others,” Canale said. “I commend you for your selflessness, hard work and dedication.”
To hear the reading of their award citations and acceptance remarks, view the recordings of the ceremonies at magazine.oswego.edu.
Jerry Esposito ’70, who was selected to receive the Alumni Impact Award, will receive his award during a ceremony at a later date.
Share Your Congratulatory Messages
We invite you to congratulate this year’s winners on a digital message board, which you can find via magazine.oswego.edu.
Learn more about the nomination process and details on submission online at alumni.oswego.edu/alumniawards.
You might also like
More from Campus Currents
Donors Raise $2.4 Million to Name the Deborah F. Stanley Arena and Convocation Hall Donors, led by the Oswego College Foundation …