An Early Residence for Oswego Students

30-welland

Located on West Third Street, the Welland provided living quarters for up to 100 students who attended Oswego Normal. Bustling until the institution moved to its new home in 1913 with the opening of what is now Sheldon Hall, the Welland closed in 1918, temporarily reopening later that year as a hospital during the Spanish influenza epidemic. Although it was not an official Oswego Normal building, the Welland’s student occupants were subjected to the strict policies and rules dictated by social norms of the time. The first residence hall fully operated by the college opened in 1951: the Mackin Complex, with its Lonis and Moreland wings—welcoming 300 students total in separate areas for men and women.

Leave a Reply