As we welcome 2015, it is clear that SUNY Oswego has never been as strong as it is today. We provide exceptional opportunities for our students to realize their full potential and their individual destinies—they are immersed in hands-on, minds-on learning in the traditions first established by our founder Edward Austin Sheldon, with extraordinary faculty and staff who also mentor and guide them on their paths.
With the passing of 2014, we reflect on our accomplishments and the challenges we’ve overcome. And we’ve got a lot to be proud of! On Oct. 16, I was enormously pleased to publicly announce With Passion and Purpose: The Campaign for SUNY Oswego, our most ambitious effort to date with a goal of raising $40 million, and we are well on our way to reaching our goal.
The daylong celebration of the launch—documented in the cover story that maps a historic 24 hours—included:
- national broadcasts of on-campus segments for the Weather Channel’s “Wake Up With Al” and NBC’s “Today” show with our loyal alumnus Al Roker ’76;
- the 10th Annual Dr. Lewis B. O’Donnell Media Summit, moderated by the award-winning writer, journalist and media critic Ken Auletta ’63, and the presentation of a Presidential Medal to its founder, Louis A. Borrelli Jr. ’77, and an honorary doctorate to renowned newsman Charlie Rose;
- a wildly successful 24-Hour Challenge, sponsored by ESPN “SportsCenter” Anchor Steve Levy ’87, which raised nearly $200,000 from 1,163 donors in a single day; and
- “The Tomorrow Show,” a live student webcast co-hosted by Steve and me, featuring our accomplished students and faculty discussing Oswego’s exceptional programs and signature experiences.
The events of that day, along with our many other successes, emphasize a recurring theme in Oswego’s history. SUNY Oswego is meant to be here—our mission in our time is exactly right—to be a great public institution that marries excellence and opportunity with access and affordability; an institution that can make the dream of attaining a spectacular education a reality.
– President Deborah F. Stanley
You might also like
More from President’s Desk
From the Officer in Charge
The only constant in life is change—as ancient Greek philosopher Heraclitus is credited with saying approximately 2,500 years ago. There …
From the President
From the President Time—a topic that I have been thinking about a lot as I wrap up my long tenure as …
From the President
From the President By the time this issue of OSWEGO Alumni Magazine lands in your mailbox, we will have celebrated …
Leave a Reply