SUNY Oswego has installed historical markers at two century-plus-old landmarks on campus, Sheldon Hall and Shady Shore—the culmination of a project that began in the summer of 2017.
The college’s Facilities Services installed the informative blue and gold signs, thanks to the work of campus researchers and the Historic Roadside Marker Program, funded through grants of the William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
Originally known as Old Main, Sheldon Hall, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, was the college’s only building on the present campus from its 1913 opening until Park Hall debuted in 1932. Sheldon Hall’s marker is located at the foot of the main entrance’s steps.
Shady Shore was built as a family home in 1857 by Edward Austin Sheldon, founder of the Oswego Primary Teachers’ Training School—predecessor to SUNY Oswego—and has served as the residence of the college’s presidents for decades. Shady Shore’s sign is along Rudolph Road in front of the residence.
You might also like
More from Campus Currents
Professor Suarez’s Video Podcast Wins International Award "From Suarez's Basement," a video podcast hosted by communication studies faculty member Francisco Suarez, …
College Endowment Outperforms National Average for 14th Consecutive Year, Reaches All-Time High SUNY Oswego is a smart investment. The donors who …